Skip to main content


Can the custodial parent move to another state/ country without the other parent’s consent?

In marriage, due to the fact that both parents share the custodial rights equally, one of the parents cannot move the child to another state/country without the other parent’s consent. In the event of a divorce, one parent will get custody of the child and will have the right to move to another city by informing the Court. The other parent’s approval is not necessary regarding this but the parent should not negatively impact on the relationship between the other parent and the child. And, according to the Turkish Court of Cassation’s decision, the court cannot ban the custodial parent from moving to another state/country due to freedom of travel. In these cases, the Court can only arrange visitation times for the noncustodial parent with his/her child.


Leave Comment

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.