After the Personal Data Protection Law came into force, it imposed obligations on real and legal persons who process personal data. One of the most important of these obligations is the "Data Controllers Registry Information System", shortly known as VERBIS. According to the provisions of the law, real persons and legal entities who process personal data must register to VERBIS before starting to process personal data.
Accordingly, data controller real persons and legal entities are obliged to declare information about data processing activities to VERBIS system on a categorical basis. With VERBIS system, the real person and legal entity data controllers are announced and the method they will follow about the protection of personal data are defined in the system.
With its announcement on its website before, The Board was announced that it was decided to extend these periods with the decision of the Personal Data Protection Board dated 23/06/2020 and numbered 2020/482, as a result of requests by stating that data controllers have taken measures such as closing workplace, working from home, etc. in order to protect against the Covid-19 pandemic, which affects our country and that due to these measures, data processing could not be continued and the registration obligation could not be fulfilled on time. The said Board decision was also published in the Official Gazette dated 25.06.2020 and numbered 31166.
Due to the Covid-19 virus pandemic that continues to show its effect in our country, on the grounds that there are difficulties in duly fulfilling the registration obligation to the Data Controllers Registry (Registry), as a result of the evaluation of the requests submitted to the Authority regarding the extension of the registration periods by many data controllers or their parent organizations, various sector representatives and some public institutions and professional organizations that qualify as public institutions, with the decision of the Personal Data Protection Board dated 11/03/2021 and numbered 2021/238; it was unanimously decided to;
- Extend the period determined for the data controllers whose number of annual employees are more than 50 or annual turnover is more than 25 million Turkish Liras and the data controllers that are operating abroad, to fulfill their registration obligation to the Registry to 31.12.2021.
- Extend the period determined for the data controllers whose number of annual employees are less than 50 and annual turnover is less than 25 million Turkish Liras and their main field of activity is processing special personal data, to fulfill their registration obligation to 31.12.2021.
- Extend the period determined for the data controllers of public institutions and organizations and professional organizations that qualify as public institutions, to fulfill their registration obligation to 31.12.2021.
- Publish the aforementioned decision in the website and the Official Gazette.
- Finally, this decision has been published in the Official Gazette numbered 31425 and dated 16.03.2021.