Skip to main content


Without court orders, what can parents do unilaterally? For example, can they take a child abroad?

During the marriage, both parents have the right to custody of the child and both of them assert their rights together, therefore one of the parents cannot take the child abroad without the permission of the other. However, if the child’s parents have divorced or are unmarried, the custodial parent can take the child abroad following notification to the court.


Leave Comment

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.