Skip to main content


Does your jurisdiction allow separation or nullity proceedings?

Yes, separation and/or nullity cases can also be brought to the Court. The party who has right to file a divorce case can request either the divorce or the separation. If the subject of the case is only related to the separation, the Judge cannot decide on a divorce; however, in cases where a divorce is requested, the Judge can decide on a separation instead.

Nullity is set in the Turkish Civil Code as absolute nullity and relative nullity. Being married to another person, having mental diseases, and not having the ability to distinguish are stated as absolute nullity. Lapse, deception, threat, and having a temporary ability to distinguish are stated as relative nullity


Leave Comment

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.